Cappelletti in Broth is a lovely Italian soup. It is very simple but packed with flavor and very popular in Italy during the winter months. It is also a staple of the Italian Christmas menu.
How to Make the Broth:
- The broth will vary according to your filling. For example, if you are filling the cappelletti with meat you will want a beef or pork based broth. If you are filling them with poultry, then make a chicken stock. If you are filling them with ricotta cheese, the broth base can be either meat or poultry based.
- In a large stock pot, add all the ingredients and cover with water. Bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 3-4 hours.
- Strain your stock and discard the vegetables.
- Pick the meat off the bone to use in the cappelletti.
How to Make the Pasta:
- You will need a pasta machine, which you can get online for as little as $25.00. Using a pasta machine helps to create a silky smooth pasta.
- Before you begin, take your eggs out of the fridge and let them come to room temperature.
- Put the flour in a large bowl and make a well in the center.
- Add the eggs and salt to the well and mix gently with a spatula. Slowly incorporate the flour.
- Mix in the remaining flour and place on a lightly floured counter. Knead for 10 minutes.
- The dough will soften up after it remains. Cut the dough in half and wrap each half in a damp cloth. Let the dough rest for one hour.
- After the dough has rested, unwrap one of the dough pieces and cut it in half, re-wrap the remaining dough.
- Cut your dough in half and roll it out on a floured surface.
- Put your pasta machine on setting #1. Pass the dough through each setting (1 through 5) twice.
- Lay the pasta dough on a flat surface and cover so that it doesn’t dry out as you put the remaining dough through the settings.
- Cut the sheets 2 inches wide.
- Cut the pasta the other way so that you have 2 inch squares.
How to Make the Filling:
- Brown the ground pork and set it aside to cool.
- In a food processor, add the mortadella and prosciutto, pulsing to mix.
- Add the ground pork, butter, cheese, and egg and pulse some more.
- Place a little bit of filling in the center of each square.
- Fold corner to corner so your square is now a triangle.
- Dab a little water if you need it for the seal.
- Take the two outer corners and fold them around your finger, pushing the center up.
- Leave the “point” up, as this is the signature of cappelletti.
- Place on a lightly floured tray or wax paper.
How to Make the Cappelletti in Brodo:
- Simply bring the stock to a boil.
- Add the cappelletti and cook until they bob to the surface.
- Serve hot and top with shavings of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and some good fresh bread.