This Classic Chicken Divan Recipe is the Ultimate Comfort Food. Juicy Chicken smothered in a creamy cheese sauce with fresh broccoli, and topped with buttery breadcrumbs, makes this signature dish an easy family favorite!
Chicken Divan Casserole
Chicken Broccoli Divan is a classic Package Dish that has delighted thousands since its creation.
It’s a Tasty Combination of Juicy Chicken, Broccoli, Sour Cream, Cream of Chicken Soup, Milk, and Seasonings to Make One Of The Most Comforting Pans You’ve Ever Tasted!
It’s so creamy, so easy, and so delicious!
Why You’ll Love this Chicken Divan Recipe:
- Versatile: This Easy Chicken Divan Recipe is great for swapping out ingredients and can also be doubled up to feed more without a fuss!
- Classic Favourite: People have praised this creamy pan since its invention in the 1940s. It’s an easy favorite for the Whole Family!
Anytime i can sneak veggies into a dish, i call it a win. The Kids Won’t Bat An Eye at The Broccoli when it tastes this good!
How to make Chicken Divan
Be sure to see the recipe card below for full ingredients & instructions!
- Par-cook the broccoli, then drain and set aside.
- Combine Ingredients for the Creamy Divan Sauce, then Stir in the Broccoli and Chicken (which Should Be Cooked Beforehand).
- Transfer to the Savepan Dish and Sprinkle on Remaining Cheese.
- In A Bowl, Make the Breadcrumb Mixture, then Sprinkle It Over the Papon.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve as is, or over rice, noodles, gold mashed potatoes.
Chicken Divan is a chicken saucepan made with broccoli, cream of chicken soup, cheese, sour cream, and a crunchy breadcrumb topping.
Chicken Divan was Named after the Divan Parisien Restaurant in the Chatham Hotel in New York City, where it was invented and served as a signature side dish.
The Best Chicken for this Papon is with something chicken you have on hand! If you’ve Got Some Chicken in the Freezer, Let It Thaw Overnight in the Fridge, Chop It Up, and Toss It in!
Yes! Thaw the Broccoli Overnight in the Refrigerator and Pat It Dry Before Adding It To Your Panspage.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Have frozen broccoli instead of fresh? No problem! Simply thaw it first and pat it dry. You don’t need to sautéed it with the chicken since it’s already partially cooked.
Make Ahead Instructions
This pancake can be fully assembled (Minus the Topping) and Stored Tightly Covered with Plastic Wrap for Up to 2 Days Prior To Baking. Top, bake, and serve! You may need to add up to 15 minutes to the final baking time to make up for the cold start.
You can also freeze the Unbaked Pank For Up to 3 Months Tightly Wrapped in 2 Layers of Plastic Wrap and 1 Layer of Aluminum Foil. Let Thaw Overnight in the Refrigerator before Baking.
Store Leftover Chicken Divan in an Airtight Container in the Refrigerator for Up to 3 Days. Reheat Gently in the Microwave or Covered With Foil in A 350 ° F Oven for 20-30 minutes.
Freeze Chicken Divan Whole (Wrapped in 2 Layers of Plastic Wrap and 1 Layer of Aluminum Foil) or in Individual Portions. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
- You can swap the broccoli out for other vegetables such asparagus, zucchini, cauliflower, or peas.
- You can use cream of Celery or Cream of Mushroom Soup Instead of Cream of Chicken.
- You can switch up the cheeses with Gruyere, Mozzarella, or Pepper Jack to Create a Different Flavor.
- You can use Greek Yogurt in Place of the Sour Cream.
- You can use any leftover chicken you like in this recipe, included shredded/Rotisserie Chicken.
- Feel Free to Use Crumble butter Crackers for the Topping Instratead of Breadcrumbs.
Easily Double This Recipe and Bake It in A 4-Quart Baking Dish (9 × 13-Inches) To Feed 8 People! Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.
This chicken divan is an easy recipe that has been devoured and enjoyed for decades. Get ready for this dish to be your new favorite dinner!
If you’ve made this recipe, please be sure to let us know by leaving a star rating or a comment below. Enjoy!
Chicken Divan Recipe
This chicken couch recipe is the ultimate comfort food. Juicy chicken, smothered in a creamy cheese sauce makes for an easy family favorite!
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly spray a 2-quart (8×8-inch) casserole dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
Chop the broccoli (crowns and stems) into bite-sized pieces. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then add the broccoli. Boil for 2-3 minutes, until tender-crisp. Drain well.
1 Pound Fresh Broccoli
In a large bowl, combine the soup, ½ cup Monterey jack cheese, cheddar cheese, milk, sour cream, mustard, garlic powder, and pepper. Whisk Well to Combine.
10.5 ounces condensed cream of chicken soup, 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese, ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese, ⅓ Cup Milk, ⅓ Cup Sour Cream, 1 whole grain mustard teaspoon, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
Gently stir in the steamed broccoli and chicken to coat. Transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
2½ cups cubed cooked chicken
In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and melted butter and stir. Sprinkle the topping over the pan.
¼ cup breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the casserole is bubbly and the topping is lightly browned.
Serve as is, or over rice, noodles, or mashed potatoes.
- You can swap the broccoli out for other vegetables such as asparagus, zucchini, cauliflower, or peas.
- You can use cream of celery or cream of mushroom soup instead of cream of chicken.
- You can switch up the cheeses with Gruyere, mozzarella, or pepper Jack to create a different flavor.
- You can use Greek yogurt in place of the sour cream.
- You can use any leftover chicken you like in this recipe, including shredded/rotisserie chicken.
- Feel free to use crumbled butter crackers for the topping instead of breadcrumbs.
- Easily double this recipe and bake it in a 4-quart baking dish (9×13-inches) to feed 8 people! Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.
Storage: Store chicken divan in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Chicken Divan Recipe
Amount Per Serving
CALORIES FROM FAT 306
Saturated fat 17g106%
Trans Fat 0.2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 10g
Vitamin A 1566iu31%
Vitamin C 101mg122%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.