One of my childhood favorites made easily in the slow cooker. This Slow Cooker Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole is so simple to make! It’s a layered casserole with chicken breasts, ham, swiss cheese, sauce, and stuffing.
Why this recipe works
Did you grow up on frozen chicken cordon blue chicken breasts? I haven’t bought them in ages, but I remember how much I loved the flavor combination. I’ve made homemade oven chicken cordon bleu breasts, but they are very time-consuming.
This Crock Pot Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole can be loaded in the slow cooker within two shakes of a lamb’s tail. This is a layered dish and only needs 5 hours on low in the crockpot. I use cornbread stuffing mix for this recipe; the chicken would work fine instead.
- Chicken: Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Ham: Sliced ham is layered on the chicken for a salty contrast. You can use leftover ham, honey ham, or even deli ham, anything works!
- Swiss Cheese: A classic choice, you can also use provolone cheese or mozzarella cheese.
- Cream of Chicken Soup: This is the creamy sauce base.
- Milk: Thins out the soup base.
- Seasonings: Dried oregano, garlic powder, and pepper. No salt is needed; there is plenty of sodium in the ingredients.
- Stuffing Mix: One box of chicken stove top stuffing (often called instant stuffing).
- Butter: This is drizzled over the stuffing to top off the recipe.
StepOne – Mix the condensed cream of chicken soup, milk, and seasonings. Set aside.
StepTwo – Place the chicken breast down into your crock pot.
StepThree – Layer the ham over the chicken.
Step Four – Next, add the sliced swiss cheese.
Step Five – Pour the soup mixture over the layers you made and spread out with a spatula.
step six – Sprinkle over the dry stuffing mix and drizzle over the melted butter.
- Cornbread Stuffing: Look for cornbread stuffing (or savory flavor) to change up the recipe.
- Pepper Jack Cheese: For an entirely different twist, use pepper jack cheese for a blast of flavor.
- Almond Topping: For an added crunch, add a 1/4 cup of sliced almonds on top of the instant stuffing.
- vegetables: Add a can of green beans, corn, or cut broccoli to complete this meal.
- Chicken thighs: Chicken thighs work great in this recipe; they turn out very moist.
No, use fully thawed chicken breasts for the best results.
Crock pot chicken cordon bleu is best with raw chicken, for raw chicken adds moisture to the overall dish.
Something happens while the chicken and the ham cook next together, where the pinkness from the ham transfers to the chicken. If your chicken temperature is 165 degrees Fahrenheit, it’s done cooking.
There are a few things you can do to cut the salt content. Use healthy request cream of chicken soup, low sodium ham, and unsalted butter.
Want to make more magic in your crockpot? Stay up to date and subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, instagram, pinterest, tik tokand Youtube.
Slow Cooker Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
This is a layered casserole dish with chicken, ham, swiss cheese, a creamy sauce and stove-top stuffing.
In a small bowl, whisk together the cream of chicken soup, milk, oregano, pepper and garlic powder until smooth. Set aside.
Add the chicken breasts in an even layer in the slow cooker.
Add the ham over the chicken in an even layer.
Next the swiss cheese in an even layer.
Pour over the soup mixture and use a spatula to spread it out evenly.
Sprinkle over the cornbread stuffing mix.
To over the butter evenly over the stuffing.
Cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
Serve and enjoy!
Prevent your screen from going dark
How to Video:
- Trying to cut back on sodium for this recipe? There’s a few things you can do to cut the sodium down. Use healthy request cream of chicken soup, low sodium ham and unsalted butter.
- Does your chicken still look pink? Something happens while the chicken and the ham cook next together, where the pinkness from the ham transfers to the chicken. If your chicken is 165 degrees Fahrenheit, then it’s done cooking.
calories: 625calories | Carbohydrates: 28g | protein: 53g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 179mg | Sodium: 1520mg | Potassium: 797mg | fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 703UI | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 290mg | Iron: 3mg
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.