If you’re looking for comfort food, especially as the temperatures start to drop, then you’ll want to add this Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup to your meal plan. It’s packed with shredded chicken, Mexicorn, black beans, plus other sauces and seasonings for a chicken soup that is absolutely delicious.
Want to have a Mexican-themed week of meals? Add my Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Soup to your plans. It’s one the whole family will enjoy!
Why this recipe works
Having a tasty, well-rounded meal for dinner tonight doesn’t have to be stressful or call for being in the kitchen longer than you want to be. With this chicken tortilla soup recipe, you can dump the ingredients and go. The only thing you’ll need to do prior to serving is shredding the chicken.
This is sure to become one of your favorite soup recipes!
- Chicken Breasts: Boneless skinless chicken breasts are cooked to tender perfection and easy to shred.
- Liquid Ingredients: Cream of chicken soup, red enchilada sauce, and chicken broth combine to make a nice and flavorful soupy base.
- Soup Fillers: Black beans, Mexicorn, jalapeno and yellow onion not only provide thickness to the soup but also an added Mexican flavor to the easy tortilla soup.
- Seasonings: Salt, garlic powder, cumin, and onion powder are the best flavors when making chicken tortilla soup.
- Corn Tortillas: Cut and broiled to create easy peasy tortilla strips.
- For Serving: Avocado and shredded cheddar cheese are for serving (along with other suggestions below).
StepOne – Place chicken breasts in the slow cooker and season with dry seasonings.
StepTwo – Add in diced onion.
StepThree – Then for in cream of chicken soup, onion, jalapeno black beans, and Mexicorn.
Step Four – For in the chicken broth and enchilada sauce. Stir.
Step Five – Cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6-8 hours. When the cooking time is up, shred the chicken with two forks right in the slow cooker.
step six – Stir in the chopped fresh cilantro and squeeze in the lime juice. Turn the slow cooker to the warm setting while making the tortilla strips.
Step Seven – Cut the corn tortilla into small strips.
Step Eight– Place them in a small bowl and drizzle with cooking oil.
Step Nine – For them onto a sheet pan and spread out. Sprinkle with salt.
Step Ten – Broil for about 3 minutes, keeping an eye on them as they can burn fast.
How to serve
- Traditionally, this slow cooker tortilla soup is served with shredded cheese, diced avocado, and homemade tortilla strips.
- You can also serve it with some of your other favorite toppings like sliced black olives, green onions, and sour cream.
- This crock pot chicken tortilla soup also pairs perfectly with a bed of white rice.
- If you don’t want to make homemade tortilla strips, you can also serve the soup with tortilla chips crumbled on top.
Recipe FAQs and Variations
Yes! Rotisserie chicken will work just fine and cut out some of the cooking time!
You can always add a can or two of diced tomatoes, especially the ones with green chiles. You can add extra beans such as pinto beans.
Safe! You can use regular canned corn or frozen corn or even cut corn fresh off the cob.
Place any remaining soup into an airtight container and keep it in the fridge. It will hold for up to 5 days.
It sure does! When stored properly (in a freezer-safe container or bag), it will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Boneless skinless chicken thighs will work for this recipe as well.
Safe! This will also give the crockpot chicken tortilla soup a more Mexican flavor, though it will add quite a bit of sodium.
Want to make more magic in your crockpot? Stay up to date and subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, instagram, pinterest, tik tokand Youtube.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken soup flavored with enchilada sauce and filled with beans and corn. The soup is traditionally topped with tortilla strips.
Other topping suggestions
Add the chicken breasts, cream of chicken soup, onion, jalapeno, black beans, Mexicorn, cumin, garlic powder and onion powder to the slow cooker.
Add the chicken broth and enchilada sauce. Stir.
Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
When the cooking time is up, shred the chicken with two forks right in the slow cooker. Do this by pushing the chicken up to the edge and shredding it with the forks.
Cut the lime in half and squeeze both halves into the soup. Stir in the chopped cilantro. Let that sit on the warm setting while you make the tortilla strips.
For the tortilla strips
Preheat the oven to broil (500 degrees).
Place the tortillas onto a cutting board. Cut them in half, then cut them into small strips. In a small bowl add the cut tortillas, drizzle over the 3 tablespoons of cooking oil. Place on a sheet pan. Spread out and sprinkle with the salt.
Place the tortilla strips under the broiler for about 3 minutes, stir them and then continue to cook until they are golden brown. Don’t walk away from the oven for they can burn fast.
Serve the soup topped with cheese, avocado and the homemade tortilla strips.
Prevent your screen from going dark
- Short on time? You can use store bought tortilla chips instead and crumble those on top of each serving of soup.
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs will work for this recipe as well.
- Place any remaining soup into an airtight container and keep it in the fridge. It will hold for up to 5 days.
- You can always add a can or two of diced tomatoes, especially the ones with green chiles. You can add extra beans such as pinto beans.
- Want to use a rotisserie chicken? You can cut the cooking time down to 3 hours on HIGH or 5 hour on LOW.
calories: 472calories | Carbohydrates: 39g | protein: 51g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 0.04g | Cholesterol: 131mg | Sodium: 1226mg | Potassium: 1092mg | fiber: 8g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 512UI | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 3mg
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.
More Slow Cooker Mexican-Inspired Recipes: