slow cooker lasagna soup combines all the fantastic flavors of ground beef, sausage, tomatoes, Italian seasonings, and fresh herbs. If you’re craving lasagna but without the typical prep time, this lasagna soup recipe is one the whole family will enjoy.
Want to add another easy soup to your meal plan this week? Try my Slow Cooker 7 Can Soup!
Why this recipe works
There are two primary reasons why this crockpot lasagna soup recipe works – minimal prep time and a cooking time that allows you to get things done in between. Besides having to cook the lasagna noodles, the only other thing you need to do is cook the meat and dump everything else together.
This easy lasagna soup recipe also feeds a crowd. Make the best lasagna soup whether you have a large family or looking for something to take to a big potluck – this is it.
- Meat: Lean ground beef and Italian sausage are cooked and browned together to add both flavor and heartiness to the lasagna soup.
- Beef Stock: Helps create additional flavor and a soupy base.
- Tomatoes: Three types of tomato-like ingredients are needed – crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste.
- Seasonings: Garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, and crushed red pepper create an amazing taste.
- Diced Onion: I used a yellow onion. You can use sweet onions for this recipe.
- Fresh Herbs: Basil and parsley are used for the cheese mixture, while fresh spinach leaves are added to the soup just before serving.
- Cheeses: Ricotta, mozzarella cheese, and parmesan cheese combine to make an irresistible cheese mixture that’s added to the bowl when serving the soup.
StepOne – Add the Italian sausage and ground beef to a nonstick skillet.
StepTwo – Cook and crumble until the meat is no longer pink.
StepThree – To the crock pot, add the cooked meat, tomato paste, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, and Italian seasoning. Stir until the tomato paste is fully incorporated. Then add the diced onion and garlic. Stir well.
Step Four – For in the crushed tomato, diced tomato, and beef stock. Stir to combine.
Step Five – Cover and cook on HIGH for 5 hours or on LOW for 9 hours.
step six – Add the cooked lasagna noodles.
Step Seven – Add the fresh spinach and let it sit until the spinach has wilted.
Step Eight – Stir the soup to mix everything together.
Step Nine – Gather cheeses to make the cheese mixture.
Step Ten – In a small bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, mozzarella, parmesan cheese, fresh parsley, and fresh basil.
step-eleven – Cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Vegetarian: Easily make this lasagna soup vegetarian-compatible by leaving out the meat and adding a few more vegetables of your choice. Think bell pepper, zucchini, squash, etc. You’ll also want to swap the beef broth for vegetable broth.
- Mexican Style: Give your crockpot lasagna soup a Mexican flare by adding fajita seasoning, black beans, corn, and salsa. My taco soup recipe is a great base to start!
- Switch Up the Meats: If you’re looking for slightly healthier meat versions, try using ground chicken (or ground turkey) and chicken broth.
How to Serve
This slow cooker lasagna soup can be served with a dollop of the ricotta topping and topped with additional sprigs of fresh basil. You can’t go wrong with adding a dollop of sour cream, too or just shredded mozzarella cheese! It also pairs exceptionally well with a slice of garlic bread or bite-size pieces of Italian bread.
As with any type of soup, you can’t go wrong with serving a soup and salad combination.
I do not recommend it because the noodles can become overcooked and turn into a gummy texture.
Absolutely! If you want to switch things up a bit, consider using a different pasta noodle of your choice. Remember to cook them separately, then add them with the fresh spinach at the end.
Yes. I recommend starting with approximately a fourth of a cup (2-3 ounces) and adding more according to your personal preference.
Adding cheeses to this lasagna soup would begin to make it thick in texture and more like a casserole versus a soup, which is runny.
No. The liquid from the cans will help create more soup.
Wait for the soup to cool completely, and then put the remainder of it in an airtight container. Keep it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It also freezes well for up to 3 months.
Want to make more magic in your crockpot? Stay up to date and subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, instagram, pinterest, tik tokand Youtube.
Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup
A full pot of lasagna soup made from scratch with ground beef, Italian sausage and a homemade ricotta topping.
In a non stick skillet, brown the sausage and ground beef until no longer pink and add into the slow cooker pot.
To the slow cooker pot add the tomato paste, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, and Italian seasoning. Stir until the tomato paste is fully incorporated. Next, add the diced onion and garlic and stir.
For in the crushed tomato, diced tomato and beef stock. Stir to combine.
Cook on high for 5 hours or 9 hours on low. While the soup is cooking, in a small bowl mix together the ricotta cheese, mozzarella, parmesan, fresh parsley, and fresh basil. Cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
When ready add the cooked lasagna noodles and fresh spinach, let sit until the spinach has wilted.
Serve with a spoonful of the ricotta cheese topping and enjoy.
Prevent your screen from going dark
- For a non spicy version, use sweet Italian sausage and omit the crushed red pepper.
- I don’t recommend cooking the noodles in with the soup as it will get thick and the noodles won’t be the right texture.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- The spinach can be left out if desired.
- If you want to switch things up a bit, consider using a different pasta noodle of your choice. Remember to cook them separately, then add them at the end along with the fresh spinach.
calories: 667calories | Carbohydrates: 52g | protein: 41g | Fat: 34g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 13g | Trans Fat: 0.4g | Cholesterol: 112mg | Sodium: 1631mg | Potassium: 1627mg | fiber: 6g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 4829UI | Vitamin C: 35mg | Calcium: 339mg | Iron: 7mg
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.
More Slow Cooker Soup Recipes: