The flavors of this Slow Cooker Smothered Chicken is absolutely delicious. The combined flavors of chicken, seasonings, and bacon make for a chicken dinner your family will love. This smoked chicken recipe is certainly one for the books.
If smoked chicken is your thing, then you’ll also love our Slow Cooker Chicken Piccata. This delicious recipe has so much flavor and is another ideal chicken dinner choice.
What is smoked chicken?
Head down south and you’ll start to hear the term smothered quite a bit. The idea of smothering food, particularly meat, is a Creole or Cajun way of cooking. Originating in Louisiana, the idea of smothering food in a gravy-like base creates more substance and flavor to an overall meal.
With this southern smothered chicken recipe, you are literally creating one of the most popular chicken and gravy meals. Boneless skinless chicken cutlets are dredge in seasoned flour while other ingredients come together to make a creamy gravy… This is one meal you can’t go wrong with!
- Chicken: This recipe calls for chicken cutlets, which are cut thin. If you have regular boneless skinless chicken breasts, simply cut them in half to make cutlets.
- Flour: Seasoned to perfection using a variety of spices such as salt, pepper, and breadcrumbs.
- Chicken Broth: Broth helps create creamy gravy.
- Bacon: Bacon makes everything better, right? It also helps to make a flavorful gravity.
- For Gravy: Corn starch, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, chicken stock paste, half and half, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Vegetable Oil: Used to briefly cook chicken before adding it to the slow cooker.
StepOne – Combine flour, breadcrumbs, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
StepTwo – Stir until the ingredients are well combined.
StepThree – Dredge the chicken in the flour, making sure both sides are well covered. Pushing down on the cutlets helps during this process.
Step Four – Cook the cut bacon over medium heat until crispy and all the bacon grease fat has rendered out.
Step Five – Add the vegetable oil to the pan with the bacon fat and heat over medium-high heat. Add the chicken cutlets and cook on one side for 2 minutes.
step six – Flip the chicken over and cook on the other side for 2 additional minutes.
Step Seven – Add chicken stock, beef stock paste, half and half, and Worcestershire sauce into the slow cooker.
Step Eight – Then add onion powder, granulated garlic, poultry seasoning, and corn starch.
Step Nine – Whisk together.
Step Ten – Prepare to add the remaining ingredients.
step-eleven – Place chicken cutlets into the gravy mixture and sprinkle crispy bacon on top.
Step Twelve – Cover and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or until gravy has thickened.
How to serve
- Slow Cooker Smothered Chicken can be served on a bed of rice, pasta, or mashed potatoes.
- It also pairs well with many side dishes such as steamed broccoli, roasted asparagus, or even corn on the cob.
- In the south, you’ll almost always see this comfort food alongside buttermilk biscuits, roasted green beans, or turnip greens.
- This smothered chicken can be garnished with fresh parsley, slices of sweet onion and tomato, and a dash of cayenne pepper (especially if you like a little spice).
Absolutely! In fact, you can add mushrooms, diced sweet onion, peas, and any other vegetables you prefer.
Yes. Chicken thighs and pork chops are ideal chicken breast substitutions. They can be easily swapped for the chicken cutlets and cooked according to the instructions.
Add any leftovers to an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Want to make more magic in your crockpot? Stay up to date and subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, instagram, pinterest, tik tokand Youtube.
Slow Cooker Smothered Chicken
Chicken smothered and slow cooker in a homemade rich and creamy gravy. Great over mashed potatoes or rice.
Share by Text
In a small mixing bowl or shallow dish, combine the flour, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken cutlets in the flour, push down on them to make sure they are well coated. Set aside.
In a nonstick skillet, cook the cut bacon over medium heat until crispy and all the fat has rendered out. Remove the bacon using a slotted spoon, reserving the bacon fat. Add the vegetable oil to the pan with the bacon fat and heat over medium high.
Cook the dredge chicken in the vegetable oil and bacon fat for 2 minutes each side, working in batches. Set aside.
To the slow cooker add the chicken stock, beef stock paste, half and half, worcestershire sauce, onion powder, granulated garlic, poultry seasoning and corn starch and whisk together. Add the cooked chicken cutlets and bacon. Cook on high heat for 3-4 hours or until the sauce has thickened. Garnish with fresh parsley and enjoy.
Prevent your screen from going dark
- Want to add more vegetables? You can add mushrooms, diced sweet onion, peas, and any other vegetables you prefer.
- Chicken thighs and pork chops are ideal chicken breast substitutions. They can be easily swapped for the chicken cutlets and cooked according to the instructions.
- Add any leftovers to an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
calories: 854calories | Carbohydrates: 27g | protein: 81g | Fat: 45g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 16g | Monounsaturated Fat: 13g | Trans Fat: 0.2g | Cholesterol: 244mg | Sodium: 1383mg | Potassium: 1489mg | fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 199UI | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 61mg | Iron: 3mg
Nutrition info is auto-generated. This information is an estimate; if you are on a special diet, please use your own calculations.
More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes: